Looking for ways to include more of the sunshine vitamin in your daily diet? Let’s start by adding some bits to our morning meals with these easy vitamin D rich breakfast ideas.
While sunshine and supplements remain the main source of vitamin D, it is possible to get it from food. So, as a nutritionist, I am sharing with you some of the top vitamin D rich breakfast recipes.
14 Easy to Prepare Vitamin D Rich Breakfast Ideas
These breakfast recipes are simple to prepare and will provide you a sufficient amount of vitamin D:
Mushroom & Spinach Frittata
Start your day with a nutrient-packed dish. It is not only delicious but also a significant dose of vitamin D. Before cooking, put your mushrooms in sunlight, When exposed to sunlight or ultraviolet (UV) light, mushrooms during produce vitamin D.
- Sauté sliced mushrooms until golden brown.
- Add fresh spinach and cook until wilted.
- Pour whisked and seasoned eggs over the veggies.
- Cook on the stovetop until the edges set, then transfer to the oven.
Salmon & Avocado Omelette
Indulge in a wholesome and vitamin D-rich breakfast with omelette. Salmon is renowned for its high vitamin D content, contributing to bone health and overall well-being. Together with creamy avocado, this simple recipe offers a delicious combination of flavors and textures.
- Whisk together eggs in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- In a hot skillet, cook fresh salmon until flaky and tender.
- Pour the whisked eggs into the skillet, covering the salmon evenly.
- As the omelette sets, add sliced avocado to one half.
- Fold over the avocado and plate it.
Suggested: Iron Rich Breakfast Ideas & Recipes
Quinoa Breakfast Bowl with Fortified Plant Milk 🌱
This is one of my most favorite vegan breakfast bowls. Quinoa, a complete protein source, serves as the hearty base for this bowl, offering essential amino acids and a dose of fiber. For Vitamin D pair it with fortified plant milk of your choice.
- Rinse and cook quinoa according to package instructions.
- Pour fortified plant milk over the cooked quinoa.
- Top it up with fresh fruits, nuts, or seeds.
Greek Yogurt Parfait with Fortified Cereal
For this recipe you will be needing vitamin D enriched breakfast cereal like granola. Before making a purchase make sure to look at the nutritional labels for amount of vitamin D added. Also, try to pick the least processed and natural form of cereal that contains minimal preservatives and additives like sugar.
- In a container, layer Greek yogurt to create the base of the parfait.
- Sprinkle a generous portion of fortified cereal over the yogurt layer.
- Repeat the layers until the container is filled.
- Top the parfait with fresh berries, sliced fruits, or nuts.
Sunny Side Up Eggs on Whole Grain Toast
This timeless classic is an excellent way to include the sunshine vitamin in your morning meal. These yolks provide an excellent source of protein, essential amino acids, and, notably, vitamin D.
- In a non-stick pan, cook your eggs until the whites are set, but the yolks still runny.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Served with toasted slices of whole grain bread.
Sardine & Tomato Bruschetta
The Mediterranean inspired breakfast provides a wealth of nutritional benefits. Sardines are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, and contribute to a vitamin D-rich breakfast. It is simple to prepare and very satisfying.
- Drain and mash canned sardines in a bowl with a fork.
- Combine them with diced tomatoes, minced garlic, and chopped fresh basil.
- Season with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Toast slices of whole-grain baguette or rustic bread until golden and crisp.
- Spoon the sardine and tomato mixture generously over the toasted bread slices.
- Garnish with additional basil leaves and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Egg & Spinach Breakfast Burrito
This breakfast option is a wholesome high fiber and high protein option. Whole eggs contribute high-quality protein and vitamin D, while spinach adds fiber, iron, and a variety of other essential nutrients.
- Sauté fresh spinach until wilted and set aside.
- Scramble eggs in the same pan, seasoning with salt, pepper, and a pinch of cumin.
- Warm a whole-grain tortilla on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Spread a layer of the scrambled eggs across the center of the tortilla.
- Top with the sautéed spinach, diced tomatoes, and any desired extras such as avocado slices or salsa.
- Fold in the sides of the tortilla and roll it into a burrito.
Mango & Coconut Chia Seed Pudding 🌱
This pudding not only satisfies your sweet cravings but also provides a host of health benefits. Chia seeds are packed with omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, and protein. Mango, on the other hand provides sweetness and fortified coconut milk is a good source of vitamin D.
- In a bowl, mix chia seeds with coconut milk, ensuring the seeds are well-coated.
- To this add in diced fresh mango.
- Layer the chia seed mixture and mango cubes in serving glasses or bowls.
- Let the mixture sit in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight
- Serve with mango slices and shredded coconut.
Salmon & Cream Cheese Bagel
This luxurious sounding breakfast is actually pretty easy to make. It also has some of the most easily available and nutrient rich ingredients.
- Toast a whole-grain or multigrain bagel.
- Spread a generous layer of homemade cream cheese on both halves.
- Lay thin slices of smoked salmon over the cream cheese.
- Add capers, red onion slices, and dill for an extra flavor.
- Squeeze a touch of lemon juice over the salmon.
- Assemble and enjoy.
Cottage Cheese & Pineapple Breakfast Bowl
This protein protein-packed breakfast is also a decent source of vitamin D. The combination of cottage cheese and pineapple make for a mouthwatering combination worth trying.
- Spoon a generous serving of cottage cheese into a bowl.
- Add chunks of fresh pineapple.
- Sprinkle with a handful of nuts, such as almonds or walnuts, for added crunch.
- Drizzle a touch of honey or agave syrup to finish off.
Vit D Fortified Milk Rice Pudding 🌱
This comforting bowl of is a classic dessert transformed into a nutrient-rich breakfast option. While you can make it with whole milk which is a good source of vitamin D, fortified milk works as an extra boost.
- In a saucepan, combine rice, fortified milk, and a pinch of salt.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Allow the rice to cook until it reaches a creamy consistency.
- Sweeten with a natural sweetener
- Top it up with chopped nuts and seeds.
Mushroom & Tuna Sandwich
This breakfast is for days when you want something filling and protein packed which also takes care of your vitamin D levels. This is also a very easy breakfast option.
- In a pan, sauté sliced mushrooms with a touch of olive oil until golden brown and tender.
- Separately, mix canned tuna with mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to create a flavorful tuna salad.
- Toast slices of whole-grain bread and spread the tuna salad evenly on one slice.
- Layer the sautéed mushrooms on top of the tuna salad.
Indulge in a vitamin D-rich breakfast with a delightful twist on the classic morning favorite. These pancakes not only offer a fluffy texture and sweet flavor but also incorporate ingredients that contribute to your daily vitamin D intake.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, mashed ripe bananas, eggs, and a dash of vanilla extract.
- Separately, whisk together flour, baking powder, and a pinch of salt.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- Cook pancakes like regular ones with some butter.
Yogurt Smoothie Bowl
The refreshing and nutrient-packed breakfast option combines the creaminess of yogurt with an array of colorful and flavorful toppings. You can use regular full fat yogurt for this or plant based yogurt that is fortified with vitamin D.
- In a blender, combine your favorite yogurt with fresh berries, mango, or kiwi.
- Add a splash of fortified plant milk to achieve the desired consistency.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the smoothie into a bowl, and top it with toppings such as granola, chia seeds, sliced almonds, or shredded coconut.
These were some of my most used and recommended Vitamin D rich breakfast ideas. Do give them a try.